Thursday, April 11, 2019

Review: Shearwater - A Mermaid Romance (2017)

An ancient civilization, brooding under the ocean depths. A forgotten race of witches, with dwindling supplies of magic. And I’m the spark that will consume them both.

Shearwater: A Mermaid Romance (2017), by D.S. Murphy, is a teen paranormal novel. Upon the tragic accident of her parents, 15-year old Clara Clark moved to Ireland to reunite with the grandfather that she never knew. Once there, she learns that her late mother's past was full of secrets that start to endanger her own life. From Goodreads:
Death followed me to Ireland. First my parents’ accident, then a string of vicious murders. As I start to unravel my mother’s secret past, I’m drawn into the orbit of Sebastian, a mysterious stranger with impossible abilities, and Ethan, the arrogant hottie locals whisper plays with dark magic.

When I start developing powers of my own, I don’t know who I am, or where I belong... but if I can’t figure out who is after me or the real reason my mother fled Ireland, more people are going to die. And it won’t stop until the human race is destroyed.
MERMAIDS ARE REAL. And they're going to kill us all.

Shearwater was a pleasant surprise in my recommended books list on Amazon. It was everything I could hope for--The Little Mermaid with a dark fantasy twist. I loved reading The Little Mermaid as a child, and I was elated to see this alternate rendition on the classic fairy-tale. The book blends Irish mythology and supernatural folklore. Clara, Sebastian and Ethan must take it upon themselves to fight tyrannical mermaids who want nothing more than to destroy the human race. Secrets are revealed, and blood is spilled. Meanwhile, Clara's transformation is key to unraveling the mystery that led to the deaths of her mother and grandmother. I have no idea if there will be a sequel, but I hope that D.S. Murphy publishes a second book soon. I may actually become a fan of his work!

Stay tuned for future updates on the Ocean Depths series.

No comments: